Monday, October 1, 2012

What I Learned

Here we are, under sail--nirvana
Change your heart, look around you
Change your heart, it will astound you
I need your loving like the sunshine
And everybody's gotta learn sometime
Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Everybody's gotta learn sometime

--Beck 

I learned that for me sailing is my own personal nirvana & when the stepfamily situation becomes overwhelming I know that sailing will keep me sane (even if while racing things can be insane).  This past weekend taught me that not only am I obsessed (we all knew this) but also, there is probably no other place on this earth where I am as happy as when I'm sailing & if Xing Fu is with me--added bonus!  The friends I've made over the years doing this sport are priceless and I really do feel bereft as winter settles in & the season is over.  This may be my frostbite year.....or at least the Leftover Bowl Regatta the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  

I learned that as a stepmother I must have a place to call my own--someplace to heal & be me & that is out with my friends on the bay--racing, cruising, SAILING.  And my friend C says it best, "It is amazing how many things come full circle - relationships change, friends change, WE change, and you don't know it until sometimes it smacks you in the face...with a roast beef sandwich and cookies...if life is an adventure and sailing is an adventure, then the sailing life is happiness unleashed!"   


No comments: