Friday, May 18, 2012

Trash Car

Ah, moving day!  On Monday the movers came & packed up my house into their truck.  It was pouring down rain & oh, boy!  What a mess!  And the buyers (now owners) were doing their walk-through at six that evening.  A couple important points about all of this:  Mondays are recycling day & Fridays are trash day.  So after the movers picked up everything, I took a lil' look around--  

"On their walls, he left nothing but hooks and some wire. And the one speck of food that he left in the house was a crumb that was even too small for a mouse."  --How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Dr. Seuss   

That was what the house looked like after the movers cleaned it out--I did find a couple of things--a piece of particle board, two soccer balls, & a floor length mirror out of a frame.  Yup, pretty empty.  Oops!  I also had a cactus plant that refused to die from when I lived in an apartment in 2001 & the wreath from the front door.  But, oh the mess!  The dust bunnies, & god-only-knows-what on the floor of my son's room....GACK!   And the appliances needed cleaning--not sure the inside of the washer ever received a proper washing itself when I discovered & scrubbed out the crud that collected around the underside of the drum.  Plus the fridge & freezer.  So I swept, and scrubbed, scrubbed & swept so that at least when these folks moved in (found out not until June 1), the place would be free of grime & yuck.  And I collected all of the nasty into garbage bags, old plastic bins, & an old recycle trash can & placed it all out by the street for trash collection on Friday.  Remember folks--it was pouring down rain, & it was Monday when I moved out....sooooooo.....


What to do with the trash?  Can't just leave it til Friday...who wants to move into a new house & see the old owner's trash by the curb?  What to do???  And where to dump this huge mound of watery trash?  I called Xing Fu to see if he could help me & suggest a place to dump the trash.  He couldn't help (middle of the day, at work, you know the drill) but suggested that I put the trash in my car & take it to his place & put it in the "trash corral" at his condo.  OK--here's a picture for y'all--me soaked to the bone carrying these bags, (and oddly, wooden stakes--so NOT going vampire hunting--I have no clue where they came from) bins, & old trash cans & putting them in my car--a '04 Hyundai Sante Fe.  Don't forget the pouring rain....I drove over to the condo, pulled up to the "corral" & opened one of the doors to the car.  Oh, did I mention that it was pouring down rain?  And the old trash can flipped out of the car & landed upside down in the middle of the parking lot! YUCK-O!  A guy was out walking his dogs & offered to help--I happily took him up on the offer & he & my drowned-rat self wrestled all the trash into the "corral'--wooden stakes & all.  Disaster averted--trash contained--yippee!


The next day I blissfully went to my car thinking that all was well with the world before the settlement & opened the door to drive to the bank.  OH MY FREAKIN' GOD!!  The stench was ginormously overwhelming!  It is the Trash Car--even the air freshener from Yankee Candle Co., couldn't handle the smell.  It permeated the car & for a while after I got into my office on Wednesday, I thought it was stuck to my skin too.  ICK!  All week I have been driving around with the windows open & leaving them open during the day in the hopes that trash car will air out.  And I think, mebbe finally, trash car is less odiferous--wet garbage--BLEH!

No comments: