Thursday, September 9, 2010

No Harm, No Foul



Last week was one of the most emotionally difficult ones I've had in a VERY long time.  You see, I was terminated from my job.  Yup, fired, let go, separated, axed....and it really wasn't my fault (for once.) And actually I am very good at keeping jobs.  It all stemmed from a certification mix-up in which paperwork I thought was sent in 2007 when my Advanced Professional Certificate (Teaching) was due to expire, did not in fact go to MSDE. (I am not in the classroom anymore, but as an employee in a school, I need to have a current certificate to do my job.) As a result, when BCPS(S) reviewed my file, I did not have a current teaching certificate.  So, and rightfully so (in retrospect), I was separated from my current job.  

The tragedy is multi-layered here.  One, I LOVE my job (for the most part) and I really do feel that BCPS(S) has been a very good employer for me--they have treated me very well over the nearly 5 years that I've worked for the system and I tell people that a lot.  Two, I love the school I work in & all of the staff I work with--very unusual.  Three, my principal is absolutely wonderful & very talented--she allows me to do my job without micromanagement, etc., unless I give her a reason to closely review my work (and thus far there has been no reason).  And those are just the few reasons from the actual on-the-job side of this.

On the emotional side of this--losing a job is a blow to the visceral person.  It is part of my identity--how I describe who I am.  It is shameful (even if it wasn't my fault) to lose my job.  No matter how happy I am with my life as it is, losing a job will essentially cut me off at my knees. 

The third tragedy is of course the economic side.  I am sole support for my child & without a steady job, well, I don't think I need to expand or expound upon that.

So, after the initial shock & subsequent losing of my lunch, I went to HR to try to figure this all out.  And heard that I had a replacement at my school already.  I kept insisting that I had the coursework & couldn't figure out what was going on.  The answer was that my old coursework no longer counted & that I needed 3 credits to renew the certificate.  I was stuck.  My principal, very much stepped up to help.  She contacted HR & my transcripts went down to the state.  This, at the end of day two of my exile from work.  On day three, I received a phone call from HR.  The state had issued my certificate--I was back.  Or was I?  The problem then was how to get reassigned to my school.  Tragedy averted.  I must say that I am grateful for my principal's intervention.  I returned to work on Friday--after 3 days in hell.


It is a week later, & it appears that nothing has been affected with regard to my tenure, state pension, health insurance, etc., etc.  So as I have said to many people who have asked, "No harm, no foul."  It is a blip. Albeit a very difficult one, and just helps me to appreciate all that I have.  Sometimes you need them.  (These feelings may have been brought on by Rosh Hashanah--just a thought), but I am grateful.


One last thing:  Thank you to everyone who called, texted, & sent all the positive juju in my direction--I have to believe that you contributed to the happy ending.

 

No comments: