Saturday, November 28, 2009

Surgery is no Fun


but you do find out who your friends are....

It truly sucks to be an active person & then have all the wind knocked out of your sails--to use a well-worn phrase. I guess I didn't realize how much of a literal sucker-punch this apparent minor surgery would be. On Wednesday I went in for out-patient fully expecting to be right back in the mix of the hustle-bustle of Thanksgiving, etc., but I've ended up being home & alone a great deal of this holiday, with an ice-pack on my belly & Percocet on the brain. Part of me enjoyed the hours of watching Sex & The City reruns (I think my favorite is Season 4, Episode 1), & the rest of me just wanted to get all this over with! But as I sat in bed contemplating my current state of affairs, I struggled with the inevitable feeling sorry for myself as well as being so thankful (the holiday word du jour) for the folks who texted me, IM'd me, called, & visited despite the demands of their own families. But through it all I just wished that for once there was one person who would just take care of me...sigh.

But I do enjoy my coterie & it has provided for an excellent diversion just before going under the knife--some of my men have provided some nice memories...& yes, I wouldn't have met these characters if I'd been involved with one person. Perhaps I'm channeling Samantha now--at least it's not a vast wasteland of tumbleweeds....still...


**The picture was taken by my cousin in honor of me--I asked her if I could now gain admission...

1 comment:

Incognito said...

Not being able to "do" for yourself does throw the mind into a different mindset and that's where you are now and I empathize with your feelings of aloneness and wanting someone to be there for you.

When I am sick or needing some healing, which, thankfully, is rare; I can go both ways. Yes, I want my meals prepared and the like, but sometimes the human companionship is not what I need. Not to sound ungrateful, but I tend to go more inside myself at that time to concentrate on the healing and besides, I'm usually miserable company anyway. I may even be whiney and irritable.

I wish we were closer so that I could come over and bug you; I'm just afraid that we'd be laughing so much that you'd bust your stitches (not good). Take care, ASK for help if you need it, and keep healing inside and out. Peace.