Monday, August 16, 2010

Listen To Your Usher

When you kissed my lips with my mouth so full of questions
My worried mind that you quiet
Place your hands on my face
Close my eyes and say
That love is a poor man's food
Don't prophesize
I could hold you in my arms
I could hold you forever
And I could hold you in my arms
I could hold you forever

From: Hold You In My Arms by Ray LaMontagne 
Merriweather Post Pavilion


Last night we went to see Ray LaMontagne & David Gray at Merriweather.  This was the last of the summer concert tickets that we had.  I guess now it's time to plan the fall series--I think it will include a few symphony performances as well--been ages since I went to the symphony--I used to go a ton when I lived in St. Louis--partially because of my job at the time & also because I do love classical music even if I don't listen to it that often anymore.  Anyway, last night's concert was a very different vibe from most of the others we've attended--Arcade Fire & Spoon being the last--currently Arcade Fire is at the top of the Indie chart & most folk already know how I feel about Spoon.  But these guys are more singer/songwriter types so a much mellower & even older crowd--no standing up in front of your seats & grooving to the music--everyone just sitting back & chilling.  But no less enjoyable--certainly both artists' songs speak to me--but this one just hit me last night more than hearing it on the radio on wtmd.  Xing Fu told me he wasn't quite sure which he enjoyed better but I think he preferred Ray LaMontagne over David Gray--just the type of instrumentation & arrangements is what I think may have appealed to him more.   I'm glad I've been able to expose him to new music--of course he always falls back on his old favorites but I hope he sees that there are many new artists out there who have great sounds to offer now as well.  Even so, the fact that we share a love of music is another reason why we work so well--I've always said that when I meet a man who I'd potentially date, I'd want to make sure that he was a sailor (or willing to learn) but also that he enjoyed listening to music of all types--needless to say, I'm not complaining now.


But it was an encounter with the usher nearby our seats that really got me to thinking--always a bad idea...  Xing Fu had told me that he's changed quite a bit--he said that he's much more open to talking to strangers when in the past he would never appear eager to do so.  I certainly noticed how he engaged with the usher--she was absolutely willing to have a lively convo--and then she told me to make sure that I spoiled him that evening.  It does seem that he's lightened up significantly since we first started & that he is happier--I'm glad that he is able to engage more fully with people--jumping in--it makes me happy to see that much more positive outlook on the world.  It is my understanding that being with the right person can make you a better person--I think I see that in myself as well. My friend, the Zen Cyclist told me that there is an edge off of me now--that I'm calmer & seem internally quieter--if there's less of an intensity about me then that is a good thing because sometimes I can be very over-the-top--if Xing Fu has helped me achieve this so much the better.   And perhaps I've influenced him in looking at life as half full--he seems to be exhibiting that more now & I did spoil him just as he always spoils me--as it ought to be but never expected & always appreciated.

No comments: