Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Rules To Break




Way back when all of this started in January, I was very concerned about being Xing Fu's rebound relationship.  In fact, there were quite a few people who warned me about that.  Therefore, it was very gratifying to come across this little snippet from Yahoo & Match.com by Lisa Cericola.  The title of the article is "6 Dating Rules to Ditch".

Rule #2: Rebound relationships never last
Give yourself time, they always say. While it’s healthy to mourn a relationship’s passing, that doesn’t mean you should ignore anyone great you meet while you recoup. “Not all breakups are the same,” explains Brent Atkinson, Ph.D., of The Couples Clinic, adding that some couples have mentally broken up months before things become official. “Instead of focusing on the timing of a new relationship, where you are emotionally after a breakup is a better indicator of whether a rebound relationship will work out.” Case in point: “My rebound relationship has lasted four years!” says Debbie Fraser, 27, from Philadelphia. “My boyfriend Bill and I met while I was in a rocky relationship with my ex. The more we hung out, the more Bill made me realize how bad my current situation was. It wasn’t long before my ex and I broke up. I was a little worried about jumping from one relationship to another, and I’ll admit that things weren’t smooth sailing in the beginning. My previous relationship left me feeling pretty emotionally damaged, and we had lots of issues to work through as a new couple. But with time, we got through our problems and couldn’t be happier now. It really made me realize that you shouldn’t pass up a good thing just because of timing.” 

Indeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I called Cyndi (who was a good friend at the time) to ask her out the day my ex decided she wanted to "see other people." We went out within a day or two and the rest is history. :) It happens. Good luck.
Shari