Sunday, April 5, 2009

Perfectly Nice

Recently, back on the dating websites, I've met a few men & gone out on a few dates. They've mostly been real misses for various reasons but I remind myself that this could be an anthropological experiment if I choose to make this dating thing a "study". Most of the guys I've met recently & blogged about have been ok--not knock your socks off, but certainly "nice" in their own ways I suppose. Which bears some self-examination: the type of guy who has knocked the feet out from under me--most definitely they are bad boys--case in point is the sociopath. I am trying to rethink this a little, if we go back to the anthropological study aspect. I need to let the perfectly nice guys have a chance. I'm more than willing to write them off straight away because they don't immediately make my heart go pit-a-pat. And look where the bad boy has gotten me...

Which brings me to my date last night. It was very nice--he planned everything: dinner, music. Opened the door for me, made sure I was safely crossing the street (as I storm right into Annapolis traffic without batting an eye), picked up the tab everywhere, drove the entire night, never pressured for anything more than a goodnight hug & kiss, & was always quite attentive. I really liked him--we had great conversation. But there weren't those intense "I can't wait to rip off your clothes" feelings, just the "Hey, this is so nice not to have to think about anything, just enjoy". As my mom might say & has said before, "Keep an open mind. You aren't a teenager anymore. He may grow on you." And to top it all off--he is actually a man & not a Peter Pan--he takes care of his lady. Nice.

4 comments:

Incognito said...

You are so on top of this from every angle; very good self work and great post!

Unknown said...

You are very kind--it is still a work in progress but your comments truly help.
Thanks

Incognito said...

Bad boys are exciting as hell, but then eventually it IS hell!

Incognito said...

Good article on using animal traits to stay sane in this mean old world: http://www.lovefraud.com/blog/2009/04/01/why-i-am-becoming-an-ass/